TP-Link TL-WA801ND Wireless Access Point. Status page, originally uploaded by v.plessky.
TP-Link TL-WA801ND Wireless Access Point.
Hardware version is WA801N v1
I bought this WAP to upgrade my Home LAN (WLAN) to 300Mbps 802.11n. And to study in details design of modern wireless Access Point based on Atheros chipset.
After "playing" with standard firmware provided by TP-Link, I plan to flash it with OpenWRT firmware, or other Open Source firmware/Embedded Linux.
Purpose of this post (and photos on Flickr) is to make short review of router "as it is", and make snapshots how User Interface looks.
Hardware itself is similar to TL-WR841ND Wireless Router which is part of my new setup / environment.
You may also note that WA841ND WAP is already connected to WR841ND router as Client (Wireless STA)
More detailed description what is this product about:
Wireless 802.11N Access Points are designed to deploy or expand high-speed wireless N network. Different devices like Desktop PCs, Laptops, Game Сonsoles, Smartphones, Printers, or Network Attached Storage can be connected together using high-speed 802.11n wireless network.
The TL-WA801ND Access Points can use Repeater Mode to expand the coverage and signal strength for the current wireless environment with Wireless Distribution Service (WDS) technology by connecting multiple Access Points. Universal Repeater Mode allows to connect together APs and Routers without WDS support. Users can use those features to deploy large-scale wireless network , and improve connectivity in remote areas.
* Support for Wireless 802.11n standard with up to 300Mbps connection speed
* Backward compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b standards
* 2T2R MIMO technology provides robust high-bandwidth wireless Tx/Rx capability with an extended range
* CCA™ improves wireless performance while automatically avoiding channel conflict
* Easily setup a WPA encrypted secure connection at a push of the QSS button
* Supports Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) assures the quality of VoIP and multimedia streaming
* Supports multiple operating modes (Access Point, Client, Universal Repeater, WDS Repeater, Point to Point, Point to Multi-Point Bridge)
* Supports up to 30 meters of Power over Ethernet capability for flexible deployment
* Multi-SSID: up to 4 SSIDs and VLAN support, it allows to provide greater security and differentiated services for different user groups
* Support for WPA / WPA2 encryption for better security
* Detachable Antenna allows to extend coverage and provide stronger signal, using external hi-gain antennas